June 2, 2012

We have been learning about the elements that make up a good story.


The first element that we are looking at is using a hook.  Getting the reader
interested in choosing your story to read. Getting them 'hooked' from the start.
There are several ways to hook your reader and they are:


To begin with a question.  
Who made this mess? (Ella)
Do you like pies? (Alex)
Have you been to Disneyland? (Tutewero)


Onomatopoeia 
Crash! Bang! The fireworks went off.  (Zoe)


Interjection
Yay. Money, money money. (Mason)
Ow. Ow. Ow. (Noah)


Dialogue
"Mum, did you do the washing yet?  My T-shirt is in there," I said.
"I just started it," said Mum.   (Kayla)


A Quote
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Dr Seuss.


A Poem
A Song
A Startling Statistic
or a good description of:  the setting or a character etc.


This is Holly's description hook.

The Jungle
In the jungle I can see beams of sunlight shining down through an endless mass of trees.  The trees cast large shadows.  It is so cold because of the trees blocking the sunlight.  There are paths leading this way and that, trying to find a way out.  There is the sound of raindrops dropping on the plants.  I can see rain drops slowly running down the leaves reaching for the ground.  All around me I can see trees everywhere, the leaves make it harder to find a way out.  As I try to walk I start to sink, soon the mud is up to my knees.  Arrrgh!  Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment